Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Babies & Life in Cusco


Never thought I’d say it, but after all the homesickness I experienced when I first got here, I am finally feeling like I’m going to really miss this place. It’s become home, and I love how I’m used to things here. There has been some new volunteers coming from Canada and England, and they have been asking me for help and advice since most of them don’t know Spanish yet. This makes me feel really good that they want advice and I like taking people under my wing when they are new to this city.




Things are pretty much the same. I saw another birth at work a few days ago, which was incredible. I watched the entire process, from the woman in active labor all up to the actual birth. The last few minutes before the baby was born, the doctor had me do an ultrasound and listen for the baby’s heartbeat which was incredible. I couldn’t believe they let me do it! After the baby was born, I helped take the measurements and then dressed the baby all by myself. I was so scared to break it because it was so small and fragile but it’s getting easier. IT’s so crazy to look at the babies and know that they have been inside their mom for 9 months… it’s just hard to describe when you actually see it happening.



This past weekend I got my camera and phone stolen. It’s my fault because I left my stuff out with my friends’ jackets… I normally have my phone on me and hardly ever have my camera but I completely spaced about having my electronics in my bag. I’m more bummed about my camera than anything…but I’m just lucky that I wasn’t mugged. It could be worse. I didn’t have my keys though so luckily I was able to sleep at a friend’s house that night since I couldn’t go back to my house. I guess getting robbed was bound to happen since it’s so common and I’ve been in South America for 5 months now. Mmm moving on.

On a different note, I have noticed myself changing so much during the course of my time here in South America. When I finish my trip I will write a blog on that, but i can’t believe how much more independent I feel. Before this trip, I wasn’t very confident in going anywhere by myself (especially into the poorer parts of Cuzco for example) or showing up to a salsa class at a club without a friend. Now I’m used to eating dinner by myself if my friends are working, walking to work in a poor area by myself, and learning to enjoy the solitude of not always being surrounded by friends. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I am always with my friends, but I’m starting to appreciate the time I do have by myself. Gives me time to relax and reflect on the things going on in my life.

In 3 weeks my mom will be here to go traveling, and in 4 weeks I will be back in Boston. I can’t believe it… not sure if another post will be up before I’m back in the states, but we will see.

Hasta luego! <3 span="">

No comments:

Post a Comment