Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Likes about Lima

So I think I've been here long enough to begin to compile a list of things I like and don't like about Lima and Peru in general... of course, there are vast differences between my time in Cusco and my time in Lima so I will try to focus most on Lima in this post.

What I love:
  • Bodegas: being able to walk 5 minutes around the corner (or literally outside my front door at my old apartment on calle piura) in order to buy my fresh fruits, water, cheese, yogurt, toilet paper, soap or anything else I really need. 
  • Living by the coast: being able to be by the malecon and the coast in just 2 blocks is really freeing. It's alot easier to get on my bike or go for a run when I have such beautiful views to look at..it also helps me forget how crowded and suffocating the city can be. 
  • Westernized city: I'll admit, as much as I had seeing American brands everywhere (KFC, Pizza hut, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts...etc etc) it is nice to have the luxury of having access to PinkBerry or Starbucks after a long day at work or on a hot summer day. It does make me feel like I'm not in a foreign country though which I dislike... 
  • Movie theater: I love that Lima has movie theatres, and the one by parque kennedy is cheap and even has movie night on Tuesdays that cost only S/7. I missed that about Cusco - sometimes you just want to go to the movies for date night (or in my case, it's our Sunday night ritual :)) 
  • Friendly people: Although my experience with some Peruvians in Lima has been negative (all the cat-calling and harassing in the street, the overall unfriendliness from Limenos, or the racism of "white" Peruvians vs. colored...) there has been some positive interactions I've had. Girls that have taken me under their wings (Marycruz, Solange, Nataly, Gerardo's sisters) to make sure I was comfortable and felt like I was part of a community. Also many taxi drivers who I've had great conversations with regarding relationships, family, faith, God, etc. etc. Sometimes these chats really inspired me and lifted my whole day. 
  • Escuela D1 - My dance studio in Chorrillos... I have really grown to love it there. The teachers are great, and although the classes aren't cheap (S/25/class) they are worth it and I've really gotten to work with some fantastic choreographers and teachers. I'm so blessed to have gotten to join that world there and they have inspired me so much!
  • Menu & Food: I love the food in Peru. From pollo a las brasa, to ceviche, arroz con mariscos, La Lucha, lomo saltado, and many other foods, it's something I'll never forget. My favorite are the menu places that cost between S/6 - S/12 for a two course meal + drink. Can't beat that, and that food has always left me more satisfied then the really nice "luxury" restaurants. Go figure! 
  • Safety: I don't think there has every really been a time where I have felt in danger in Lima. Granted, whenever I go outside the "bubble" of Miraflores/Barranco, I'm usually with Gerardo so I know I am in good hands. But I have really gained confidence, even going out to Independencia, Chorrillos, and Los Olivos by myself and I've felt safe. I'm glad for this since this was something I was worried about being in such a huge city...
  • Fruits & Veggies: The fact that fruits and vegetables are among the cheapest things you can buy around here...besides bread and rice. Back home, at least in Boston, it is so expensive to get good quality fruits and vegetables. I remember spending so much at Whole Foods, Shaws, Trader Joe's, just to get good fruit (never made it too much to the Farmer's Markets...). I love that these healthy things are affordable here!

No comments:

Post a Comment